This delicious starter is incredibly popular all over the world, and for good reason! Warm, melted strips of mozzarella, coated in flavorsome breadcrumbs, deep fried and served with your choice of dipping sauce, this is a without a doubt winning combination! From fast food joints to sit down restaurants, and always present in the freezer section of the supermarket, you don’t have to look far to find some of these delicious bites of cheesy goodness.
However, as we all know, nothing quite beats the satisfaction of home cooking.
So luckily for you, I’ve found an easy way to make mozzarella Sticks at home that might just taste even fresher than the ones at your local diner! Whether you’re hosting a party, feeding fussy children, or just treating yourself, this simple recipe is guaranteed to hit the spot.
Before we start, it’s important to note that this recipe requires you to freeze the mozzarella sticks for at least an hour before cooking. so do make sure you factor in that time. I usually like to freeze them overnight, so that I can treat myself to a hassle-free dinner the next day. You could even plan ahead and make a few batches of these sticks at a time, ready to whip out of your freezer any time!
How to make Mozzarella Sticks at HomeDifficulty: Easy
Calories per one stick
Block of whole milk Mozzarella cheese 16 oz
2 large eggs
2 cups breadcrumbs
1 tsp Italian Herbs/Seasoning
1 tsp Garlic Powder (optional)
Salt & Pepper
Dipping sauce of your choice; Marinara, Sweet Chilli and BBQ are a few of my favorites for this dish
- Mix the breadcrumbs, the Italian herbs, and the garlic powder together in a small bowl. Also, whisk the eggs in a small bowl. You will be dipping your cheese into these bowls, so make sure they are close to each other, with a tray nearby.
- Cut the block of cheese into strips. Try to make them a little chunky, about half an inch wide. I usually manage to make about 12 strips out of a block this size, but it doesn’t matter if you end up with a different amount, the taste will be the same!
- Take a stick of cheese and dip it fully into the egg, making sure you cover the whole slice.
- Dip this stick into the breadcrumbs, covering it completely, and then place on a tray. Repeat this process for each stick.
- After you have coated them all, repeat the process for a second time. Coating the sticks again means you are less likely to have a melting disaster later!
- Once this is done, you can place the tray into your freezer for between 40-60 minutes.
- Heat up about 2 inches of oil in a deep pan, and once hot add the sticks. Alternatively, if you own a deep fat fryer feel free to use that.
- Turn the sticks and cook for a couple of minutes, or until they look golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauce and enjoy!